Monday, February 7, 2011

Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Before Professor Martinez destroyed my lifelong perception of peanut butter as a healthy alternative to junk food, I was comfortable in my belief that peanut butter was, well, a healthy alternative to junk food! I knew it was a high calorie, high fat food item, but I didn't realize how much of what goes into processed peanut butter probably should not go into the human body - or any body, for that matter.

Actual Food Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Soy Protein, Salt, Sugar, Palm Oil.

Chemicals and Scientifically Altered (arguably food items, but they shouldn't be) Food Ingredients: Corn Syrup Solids, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (to prevent seperation), Mono and Diglycerides, Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Copper Sulfate), Vitamins (Niacinimide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid).

I'll be honest - right now, I am concerned about eating healthy. I go in cycles, where sometimes I'll eat whatever I want without a care in the world (for weeks or months on end, "pass the ice cream, please!"). Then, I look in the mirror, make up bad words while I scream at the scale, and hit the gym hard and shop only the perimeter departments at the grocery store.

The steps I take to eat healthy are pretty standard stuff, but I know I could be a lot better about it. Instead of simply looking at nutrition facts (and, really, I only look at the calories, fat, sodium, and vitamins listed on the package), I could be looking at the ingredients of the items I put into my body. Dinner tonight is actually going to be boneless, skinless chicken breast, baked, with a side of white rice and a side of spinach sauteed with turkey bacon. Like I said, it's healthy... ish. I could be doing a better job, but I feel that I could also be doing a whole lot worse (what I really wanted was In N' Out, but that's a story for another night).

4 comments:

  1. I, too, had no idea that peanut butter is as bad as it is! In fact, I had eaten a peanut butter sandwich for lunch the day we got the news. I can somewhat relate to your steps to eat healthy. The one or two times I did try, I also would only read the calorie, fat, etc. count on the back. Before last weeks lab, I never thought to look at the actual ingredients of the 'food' that I am putting in my body!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal in life (or rather, the goal way in the back of my mind somewhere behind graduating college and solving world hunger) is finding a way to eat healthy but make it taste good. I think it's true about what the text said about us Americans having an overlarge sweet-tooth. But it just tastes so good to eat fattening and sweet things! (I LOVE my icecream...) But there has GOT to be a way to make healthy taste good! Spinach sauteed with bacon isn't a bad start at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started looking in my cabinet to check out some of the ingredients one of the first things I grabbed was the peanut butter and I was really suprised how un-natural the ingredients were I figured that it would have been one of the "healthier" food options. I was better than some things but definatly not has natural as I believed it would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All you guys need to do is get natural peanut butter! Just ground up peanuts and salt! That's it! (and it tastes yummy!)

    ReplyDelete