How do I know I'm alive? It's a lot more straightforward than some people may think (asking questions such as, "How do we know we actually exist?"), because there are plenty of qualifiers that point to scientific fact that I am, in fact, alive.
First, I have my own specific DNA.
Second, I am made up of organs, which are, in turn, made up of cells. Put me under a microscope and see for yourself. Or you can simply take my word for it, which is probably the route that both of us would prefer.
Third, my body maintains consistent internal conditions. Without these consistent conditions, I feel miserable - often times I feel like a fever is going to kill me. This is because a drastic change in internal temperature actually can kill a living organism.
Fourth, I have grown and changed thoughout the course of my life. For example, I have gained 150 pounds since the fourth grade.
Fifth, I have the capacity to reproduce. I'm happy with my two cats and two dogs, none of whom any longer have the ability to reproduce (they don't like to talk about it), but they are very much alive, as well. Even when I reach an age where I am no longer able to reproduce, I will still be alive (hopefully) because I will have, at one point in time, had the capacity to reproduce. In not-so-scientific terms, I believe this stage of life is called "The Golden Years."
I do not believe the scientific definition of a living thing is complete. An organism must be able to function on its own, without the help of machinery or other artificial assistance, in order to be considered "alive."
No comments:
Post a Comment